Text Only Homepage
The University of Massachusetts Boston homepage is set up with primary navigation in the header, with links also in the footer.
There is a search bar in the upper right part of the screen.
Below that are two rows of links.
The links in the first row of the header are, from left to right: Info for Faculty & Staff, Info for Alumni, Email, WISER, Blackboard, Library, Offices & Directory, News, Events & Media, Getting Here, and Giving.
Rotating Picure Box
Below the two rows of headers, there is a rotating box, with three pictures showing at a time, changing every six seconds, that takes up the width of the site. In total, there are 27 pictures. Clicking on each picture leads users to a story about an aspect about what makes UMass Boston stand out. Clicking on each picture will take you away from the home page and to the Why UMass Boston? section of the site.
There are eight types of Why UMass Boston stories:
- Creativity & Innovation – stories about faculty members who’s innovative ideas have put UMass Boston on the map
- Boston – stories about why the proximity of the campus to the City of Boston gives prospective and current students a leg up in their future endeavors
- Building Our Campus – stories about the new buildings on campus
- Alumni Achievements – alumni success stories
- Life on Campus – students share their stories through videos
- Global Outreach – profiles of UMass Boston faculty members who are engaged in the world around them
- In the Community – stories about UMass Boston faculty and students who are engaged in the community that surrounds the Boston campus
- Outstanding Faculty – stories about UMass Boston faculty
Other Homepage Content
Below the rotating box of stories, there are three remaining sections of the site before you get to the footer.
On the left side of the screen, there are links to Events, News, In the Media (which refers to UMass Boston students, faculty, and staff being covered by media outlets), Construction Updates, and the UMass Boston Facebook and Twitter feeds. When you click on Events, News, In the Media, or Construction Updates, the most recent stories in each of the categories show on the screen. Some of the stories have a picture. Below the most recent events, there is also a link to the UMass Boston calendar.
In the middle of the screen, there is a box featuring a UMass Boston photo. We invite users to send their photos to email@example.com.
On the far right of the screen, there is a place for one of the university’s blogs. This area features a photo, and the beginning of the blog’s most recent entry. There is also a link to all of the university's blogs.
The final features of the homepage are in the footer.
There are two columns of links on the left side of the footer and links to UMass Boston’s social networking sites (Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and YouTube) and the university’s phone number (617.287.5000) and address (100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125-3393) on the far right side of the footer.
The links in the left footer column are, from top to bottom, MobileWeb, Contact Us, Employment, Privacy & Terms, Accessibility Statement, Text Only Homepage, Diversity/ADA, Student Consumer Information and UMass System.
The links in the right footer column are, from top to bottom, the same as the second header row: The University, Academics, Research, Admissions & Financial Aid, Athletics & Recreation, Life on Campus, and In the Community.